The home side went into this game sitting sixth in the table after a mixed start to the season following promotion from the Major division in 2011/12. Cabo needed three points to kick on after a tough game previously against Swords Celtic which was only their second home league defeat in two years.

This game also had an edge to it as visitors Raheny United FC had won the reverse fixture 2-1 in St. Anne’s Park with a last minute goal so the lads were looking to overturn the result this time round.

Lightning Start!
Cabo coaches Paul ‘AVB’ McBride and Stephen Kelly couldn’t have asked for a better start as the home team raced into the lead with less than a minute gone as good link up play in the midfield led to Jay Bergin’s magnificent cross being met at the far post by Robbie ‘Bobby’ Byrne who headed home to the joy of the Cabo ultras on the line.

Raheny then picked up momentum and started to play some good passing football of their own only to be frustrated by good Cabo pressure in the visitors’ half. Eventually the pressure paid off when a long range effort from the Raheny winger found its way into the top corner of Neil Costello’s goal which was unfortunate for the Cabo stopper who had a magnificent game in goal.

Raheny were then given a penalty for handball which might have been harsh on the Cabo lads as it was more ball to hand but in any case Raheny tucked away the penalty and it was 2-1 to the visiting side at the break.

After a motivating team talk from Paul ‘AVB’ at half-time the lads came out with all guns blazing. Cabo reverted to a 4-5-1 formation from the first half 4-2-3-1 and it seemed to work as Raheny couldn’t get their game going and Cabo created all the chances, with ‘keeper Costello having to turn his attention to the Raheny striker (the less said the better).

After a frustrating game in which Raheny players tried their best to wind up Cabo players and management, Cabo then grabbed an equaliser when Carl ‘Chopper’ Murphy knocked in a low corner to make it 2-2 and Cabo with the momentum going forward. Carl, a half-time substitute, reminding the gaffer that they can score from corners and giving a little help with the team selection for next Sunday!

Raheny’s frustration showed with their players trying anything to wind up the Cabo lads but a few minutes later an in-swinging corner allowed another super sub Jack Kelly to head home to complete the sweet comeback and gave Cabo a deserved 3-2 lead, to everyone’s delight.

With things a little quieter from a Raheny point of view Cabo tried for a killer fourth with the pace of Tom Curran, Davy Harris and full back Paul Murray catching out the visitors on the counter attack.

Close Finish
With only ten men following skipper Ross Millar’s injury, Cabo finished the game under pressure from set pieces and everything Raheny could throw at them but held on for a well-deserved win which was greeted with cheers from the Cabo faithful at the final whistle.

The win moves the lads up to second in the table with a table topping clash with Lourdes Celtic next Sunday and, after a heated and hard-earned victory, the lads will be raring to go for 11.00am on Sunday morning.

Cabo team on the day: 1. N. Costello, 2. D. Nolan, 3. P. Murray, 4. G. Hartigan, 5. R. Miller, 6. J. Toale, 7. J. Bergin, 8. B. Whelan, 9. D. Rowe 10. T. Curran, 11. R. Byrne 12. C. Murphy, 13. D. Harris, 14. K. Kinch, 15. J. Kelly 16. K. Kelly, 17. T. McGrath

See below for some more photos of the match. You may also review them on this link if you’re on certain Apple devices.

Exciting times for Paul, Stephen, Declan, Pearse and all the lads – FORZA CABO!