Paul Fitzgerald Cup: Cabinteely FC 1-2 St. Joseph’s Boys AFC
On Saturday, our DDSL U-11A Sunday team team put in a magnificent display in the final of the U-11 Paul Fitzgerald Cup in The National Sports Campus, Abbotstown. Cabinteely started strongly and played brilliant football throughout but a last-minute goal sealed the win for St. Josephs Boys AFC.

Cabinteely looked the part for their final in their new Uhlsport gear sponsored by the ISPCC. Cabo started the stronger of the two teams. Captain Rhys Knight gave Cabinteely the lead after ten minutes when he turned his man on the edge of the box before unleashing a thunderous strike just inside the post to the delight of the huge travelling support.

Cabo continued to create chances and keep possession of the ball. Eric Schutte controlled centre mid for Cabinteely and got Cabo playing football. Rhys Knight dazzled at right mid showing the crowd his range of passing and skills. Phillip Cooney impressed at left mid before picking up an ankle injury which forced the team’s Player of the Year for last season off before half-time.

Aidan Kane showed his great control and ability up front, continuously taking in the ball and bringing more players into the game. Cabo created a number of chances but Joes rode their luck and the scoreline remained at 1-0.

St. Joseph’s got a lifeline towards the end of the first half when they were awarded a penalty. Goalkeeper Joe Collins made a super save from the penalty spot to protect Cabo’s lead – his second penalty save of the week, having also saved a peno last Wednesday night in Cabo’s win against Shamrock Rovers.

The second half saw St. Joseph’s come out fighting and Cabo defenders Ben Lawler and Ross Young had to be at their best as they dealt with wave after wave of attacks. Joe Collins made a number of stunning saves in the second half in a ‘man of the match’ display.

The introduction of Jorge Nash up front caused problems for Joes. The striker went on one of his trademark runs from the half-way line, beating any and all opponents that got in his way but his shot just flew wide of the post.

Luca Ryan and Briain Waters worked tirelessly on both wings getting up and down the line in a high-paced second half.

St. Joseph’s equalised with ten minutes left in the match and, with momentum now on their side, they went looking for a winner. Then, with the last kick of the game, they grabbed a goal to seal the win with the game looking destined for extra time.

Cabinteely’s players did their club proud and will no doubt learn from the experience of their first cup competition and come back stronger. Thank you to all of the parents and club members for your superb support on the day.

Great performance, but tough to take at the end!